Thursday, March 12, 2020

Griffins


 "1978!  You're old!"

Yup.  That was my sister's first response to this photo.  I must admit I'm surprised she didn't comment on my hair.  That's what I noticed first.  My poor fried, permed hair.  What I wouldn't do for curls back then!

And what on earth made me decide to put a hoodie under my football jersey?  I look like I'm smuggling inner tubes. And how did my sister manage to put a hoodie under a snug baseball t-shirt and still look svelte?  

Sorry, I got a bit off track there.

Anyway, I suggested that we find something else to share, as we had already discussed my aged status in our first post

After much reminiscing, we determined that this picture was taken on the occasion of her attending her first football night-game in the fall of 1980. My sister was in grade 9 and I was in grade 11. This means it was taken shortly after the hickey incident.

There are no surviving photos of the hickey incident.  Too bad, because they would be hilarious.  At least from my point of view.  I merely observed the incident.  My sister and a friend were the ones who suffered self-inflicted hickeys.

They were having a contest to see who could hold a cup on their face the longest without using their hands. This involved a fair amount of suction.  They were both quite good at this, and they eventually got bored.  In their impatience to end their game they yanked the cups off their faces. Huge, mouth-circling, chin-covering hickeys were the result. What a way to start grade 9!

In chatting about the picture, my sister wondered why she looked overly excited .  Maybe it's because the hickey had finally disappeared.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen