Thursday, May 7, 2020

Summer of '69


Photo courtesy of Dad
That's me on the left and my sister on the right

Somehow I don't think this is what Bryan Adams had in mind.

I don't imagine it's what my parents had in mind either.

I'm not sure why my parents continued to take us on family vacations.  You'd think they would have learned their lesson on the Algonquin trip.  Yet they persevered.  

On this trip we camped our way around Lake Huron. I'm surprised my parents didn't turn back before we were out of Southwestern Ontario.  Look at us!  

My sister thinks I look like I'm trying to make fart sounds.  Somehow I doubt it.  Fart sounds were more her thing.  She has no idea what prompted her expression.  Neither of us look very happy.

My sister did notice that her shorts were unusually long, which then led us to notice that mine were unusually short.  Perhaps Mom had put us in the wrong outfits. And it looks like our shoes could be on the wrong feet. That might explain our displeasure - wardrobe malfunctions.

We also noticed the band-aid on my knee.  Then we noticed something on her knee too.  I think it's calamine lotion.  She thinks it's two band-aids, because if she's going to have boo boo it's going to be twice as bad as mine.  Sibling rivalry never ends. 

Either way, boo boos and bug bites couldn't have helped our mood.

Once again we had to turn to Mom for her insight.  She thinks our expressions could have been due to a combination of things.  It had been a long day in the car.  The photo would have been taken around the time Dad was setting up the tent - always a stressful event.  The water behind us was too cold for swimming.  That would have been a huge disappointment for both of us.  Mom also remembers that neither my sister nor I liked the bathroom at this campsite. I'm not surprised that I didn't like it.  I never liked campground bathrooms.  Too many spiders.  

My sister seems to think that she has an aura of cool in this photo that I am lacking.  I think that is hard to determine our coolness factors from this photo, though I know there are pictures out there that support her claim to superior coolness.  They might even show up here.  In the mean time, I'm going to enjoy this adorable snapshot.  It makes me laugh every time I see it.


2 comments:

  1. HA HA HA!!!! I LOVE the wardrobe malfunction theory. :) :)
    kitty b

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen