Sunday, February 9, 2020

Sunday Bonus Recipe: Carrot Soup



I served this soup to friends on Thursday.  They liked it enough to ask for the recipe, which was awkward, as I had cobbled together two recipes, then I made changes to those recipes, to come up with the soup I served them.

I referred to carrot soup recipes in America Test Kitchen's "The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs" and Stephanie Kay's "Red's 5-ingredient Meals".  I'm really enjoying how these cookbooks are allowing me to get tasty food on the table fast, even when I don't follow the recipe.

Carrot Soup

1 tbsp coconut oil
2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
1 medium onion, diced
1 (2-inch) piece of fresh ginger peeled and chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth*
1 1/2 cups water*
1/2 tsp salt
1 14oz can coconut milk

  • Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat
  • Add diced onion and cook until translucent
  • Add salt, cumin and coriander and cook for a few seconds
  • Add carrots and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes
  • Stir in water/broth and bring to a boil
  • Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender
  • Remove from heat, and puree with preferred tool.
  • Stir in coconut milk.  Return to low heat and warm to desired serving temperature.
  • Serve topped with with chopped fresh herbs, croutons, or roasted chickpeas if desired
*or three cups broth, or three cups water.  Enough liquid to cover carrots and onions.



(*Note:  I don't get anything for the links above.  They're there for your information.  Hope you find them useful.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen