Sunday, February 2, 2020

Happy Groundhog Day!

From an out-of-province friend's email earlier today:

"Take heart ---- the Marmot Recovery Foundation, when  asked if Van Island Violet would make a prediction, said that a hibernating marmot is unlikely to see her shadow. Ergo, an early spring."

I live on Vancouver Island, and I had never heard of Van Island Violet and her weather predicting powers, so I thought I'd look into it.  I wish I hadn't, as I found this article, which states she did, in fact, see her shadow.  Ugh.  More winter.

Still, it sounds like this is good news for our marmots. I suppose I can't begrudge them a longer winter if it will help with their survival.  Vancouver Island Marmots are a critically endangered species.  I can always buy some spring at the grocery store if winter gets overwhelming.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen