Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Kitchen Day

Back-to-work is looming.  I've been off for over three months, and the job I'm going back to looks nothing like the job I left.  Hubby will be biking to work for the first time in ages.  I suspect we will be exhausted in the evenings.  Since I'm still home, I spent the morning in the kitchen prepping meals for when we are too tired to cook. 

We had roasted chicken for dinner last night, so I used the bones and scraps to make chicken stock in the oven.

This morning I used the stock to make lemon, chicken, orzo soup.  This will be frozen for future dinners.


While the soup simmered, I used the beets left over from last night's dinner to make beet pesto.  I've never tried it before, but it was very tasty.  Looking forward to having it on pasta with a side salad in the not-too-distant future.


After that I washed many, many dishes, then I made kielbasa and cabbage stew.  Tomorrow's dinner done!


I sub garlic sausage for kielbasa.  I use less sausage, cabbage, sugar and paprika that the recipe calls for. 

I washed more dishes while the stew simmered.

Finally, I made bean and cheese quesadillas for lunches tomorrow.  Canned pinto beans mashed with about 1/4 cup commercially-prepared salsa, shredded cheddar, tortilla.  Done.
 


That was a lot of work.  I'm tired.  I'm hungry.  I wonder if there's anything in the house to eat?
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen