Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Iron Chef?

When I started writing about meal planning back in January, I got the following in an email from a friend:

"I used to menu plan, and occasionally I still do, but it’s like Iron Chef here most days .... hmmm what can I make with kale, a can of retried beans, 3 pickles and a potato....?"

This made me laugh. I still wonder what she made with those items.  

Meals around here have become much like that.  It's not that there's a shortage of food.  We're well stocked, but I'm trying to make sure that nothing goes to waste, so...

... the veggie broth I made on Saturday went into sweet potato soup on Sunday.  I could have frozen the rest of the broth, but the freezer is at capacity, and there wasn't enough sweet potato soup for lunch on Monday, so...

Recipe from Rino's Kitchen cookbook.  I didn't quite get the amounts right, but still a great recipe.

...I used the rest of the broth to make red lentil soup for lunch on Monday.  This will be lunch for a couple of days, but...

This photo brought to you by Bag-O-Lentils.  You now who your friends are with Bag-O-Lentils

...there was a small amount of sweet potato soup left over.  Since it was rather spicy, I added about 1/3 can of coconut milk, which made enough for two "starter" servings for supper last night.  Which was great, but...

...now there is a partial can of coconut milk in the fridge.  I've decided that this will go into chicken curry on Wednesday.  I'll probably try this recipe, but...

I only have 28oz cans of tomatoes, so...

I'll have to figure out what to make with the remaining tomatoes, and...

...so on, and so on, and so on.

As you can see, there's meal planning happening, it's just not happening too far in advance.



(*Note:  I don't get anything for the links above.  They're there for your information.  Hope you find them useful.)

2 comments:

  1. HA HA HA You always make me laugh!
    James Barber used to have segment like that on his cooking show, The Urban Peasant. (i think) people would call or send in contents of their fridge and he would make something (usually spectacular) from those odd ingredients.
    :)
    kitty b

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen