Wednesday, March 20, 2013

New Rule!

We played a lot of unique games when we were kids. The games were often loosely based on existing games, but, because they were mostly made up, we could call "New Rule" when something wasn't working. That usually led to fights and cries of "No fair!", but eventually we would settle down and play on. We often found the game worked better for the change.

Today I wish to invoke the power of "new rule" in real life.

Here we go.

If you are ever in a situation where you require first aid from a stranger, once you have recovered, if you do in fact recover, you must find a way to inform that stranger that you are okay.

I can hear the cries of "No fair!".

What if to do so is embarrassing? What if the need for first aid was prompted by a stupid action? What about privacy? What if the help wasn't wanted? What if it's not convenient? What if I don't want to?

My response:  It's not fair that, having in my bumbling way provided first aid to a stranger, I am left wondering if she's okay.  It's not fair that I can't sleep for worry about her. It's not fair that I'm getting weepy as I write this. 

I know it's none of my business. I don't need her thanks. I just really need to know she's okay so I can be okay too. 

I think that's fair. 

New Rule!

Play on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen