Sunday, August 30, 2020

Meal Plan - August 30 - September 5

I planned this week's meals around all the produce in the house. I still had veggies left from my August 6th visit to Sleeping Cougar Acres and I came home with more veggies on Thursday.  My fridge is bursting.  

For the most part, I'm using tried-and-true recipes that I've had for years.  They've been in my repertoire for so long I can't even find them on the internet.  I've included pictures below.  Click on the photos for larger images.


This week's recipes:

Zucchini soup: I think this is the only new recipe this week.  I selected it because I have everything in the house, though I will be subbing veggie broth for the chicken broth. I'll serve it with home-made sourdough bread and a tomato and basil salad. Hubby has started making bread!  We were gifted some sourdough starter two weeks ago.  He made his second loaf yesterday.  Mmmm.  

Couscous salad: The recipe is below.  I cut it from an Overwaitea flyer back in the days before grocery stores had websites.  I usually use about 1/2 the couscous the recipe calls for, and I omit the ham.  I'll serve the salad with steamed broccoli, mostly because I have broccoli that needs to be used up.  


Beef and Cucumber Stir-Fry:  I did actually get this Urban Peasant recipe from the internet, but I can no longer find it online.  Glad I thought to print it out.  It's very handy when I have an abundance of cucumber in the house.  Right now there are four cukes in my fridge.  It reminds me of the days when my aunt and uncle had a cucumber farm.  They'd send me home with free "ugly" cukes.  


Burgers with red cabbage:  I've been buying pasture-raised beef from a local farm.  They sell it frozen in one pound packages.  The burgers will use the rest of the beef from the package I thaw for the stir fry.  I made and froze the red cabbage a while ago. It's great on burgers.  (The recipe came from the aunt who had the cucumber farm.  Hi Auntie P!)  The salad will be made from whatever is in the fridge. 

(Note:  I don't get anything for the links above.  They're there for your information.  Hope you find them useful.)




4 comments:

  1. So glad you still use the red cabbage recipe. We may not have a cucumber farm anymore, but we are extremely fortunate that our daughter's boyfriend has greenhouses. They grow cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers. I receive a box of fresh produce every week. Just roasted and froze the abundance of cherry tomatoes today to be used for pasta later. I have zucchini in the fridge and you have inspired me to make the soup. Hugs Auntie P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now you need to tell me how to roast cherry tomatoes. And I'm going to need to know how to use them later. L gave me a lot of cherry tomatoes, and I think there may be more to come!

      Delete
  2. Easy...I drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper over the cherry tomatoes and some garlic cloves. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 400F for 25 minutes. When done you can put on pasta as is or make bruschetta. I also use them in homemade pasta sauce. They freeze great. Yummy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen