Friday, April 10, 2009

To Market, To Market!

My workplace is going through a “strategic realignment” - management’s wording, not mine. This initiative has lead to many changes, some exciting, some frustrating, some overwhelming. Some are even funny if you have a twisted sense of humour. I tend to have a twisted sense of humour. One of the best things to come out of these changes is my new schedule. I now have Saturdays off for the first time in 2 years. This means I can attend the Saturday Farmers’ Market on a regular basis. *Insert happy dance here*

March 28 marked my first venture to the Saturday Market in about a year. I was so excited that I was rather giddy. I’m sure the vendors thought I was more than a little mad. I should probably save the happy dance for less public venues.

A quick spin around the market dampened my spirits a wee bit. I had imagined that I would be buying produce. Somehow I had neglected that fact that it was still March, and the produce pickings were pretty slim. Part of that might be due to my late arrival. The good stuff usually goes first at the Farmers’ Market, and I had slept in. I did mention it was my first Saturday off in a very long time, didn’t I?


Though there wasn’t much to choose from in the way of produce, there was still plenty available to purchase: beef, chicken, lamb, chevon (aka goat meat), bison, tuna, salmon, two kinds of eggs (duck and chicken) a variety of jams, jellies and condiments, a seemingly infinite variety of baked goods, honey and locally made cosmetics.

I had money burning a hole in my pocket, so I treated myself to some facial clay and some bison wieners. (That’s hotdogs you lewd thing. I know what you were thinking.) Not what I was planning when I started, but that’s half the fun of shopping at the Farmers’ Market. I never know what I’m going to leave with, but I never go home empty-handed.

Dinner that night was barbequed bison wieners followed by a wicked facial mask. There were enough hotdogs for two meals, which prompted me to get over my fear of preparing dry beans. I made homemade baked beans for the first time, as I wanted to use the leftover bison for wieners and beans. It seemed a shame to use canned baked beans with the bison wieners. I love how unplanned purchases can lead to new experiences. As a bonus, we also got 3 meals out of the beans (wieners and beans, plus baked beans on sourdough toast x 2) and there‘s two 500ml jars of baked beans in the freezer. I feel another happy dance coming on.


Tomorrow brings the first outdoor Farmers’ Market of the season. Once it moves outside, the market usually attracts more vendors. The local produce has also had that much more growing time. I’m looking forward to the increased selection. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for good weather, but I will be there rain or shine. I can’t wait to see what cooking adventures this week’s market will inspire.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! Jealous! Our outdoor markets don't start until May. I am not sure how many farmer's markets there are in Victoria, but I have a cousin, actually my dad's cousins who does beautiful water colour illustrations of the market. Look out for someone painting and if you see her say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just heading out the door...

    We're a bit north of Victoria, but have seen painters from time to time at our market. I'll keep my eyes open. I think would be fun to pass your message along, even if it's not the right painter. Imagine how it would brighten their day to think someone is thinking about them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen