Thursday, September 24, 2020

Happy Campers?

Unlike other camping photos I've shared here, my mom, my sister and I all look relatively happy.  This is particularly impressive since Mom's arm is in a cast.  Camping.  With toddlers.  With your arm in a cast.  Maybe they gave her the good drugs at the hospital.

I hope so.  Mom remembers that 24th of May weekend as, "rainy and definitely cool... It was hard doing most things with a cast...Getting you two washed, dressed and to the bathroom was really fun. Lots of spiders."

My sister also remembers, "big, big spiders there and you wouldn't go to the bathroom.  We had to be lifted up and off the toilets and mom only had one arm for some reason or other."

Weirdly, my sister remembers my Mom doing things with only one arm, but she didn't remember Mom's arm being in a cast. Not even with this photo in front of her.

Probably because Mom still manages to look cute in that Audrey Hepburn gamine-chic kind of way. The fisherman's sweater, popped collar and penny loafers make it easy to overlook the cast.

Photo courtesy of Dad

Though Mom only had the cast for a couple of weeks while her wrist healed from having a ganglion cyst removed, those weeks did leave my sister and I with lasting memories.  

My sister remembers holding a dustpan up to the side of the table and mom sweeping crumbs off into the pan. That's such a toddler thing to remember.  She sort-of remembers Mom being able to use only one arm. She doesn't remember the surgery or the cast, but she does remember getting to use the dustpan. Such a good little helper! 

I remember running to the neighbours for help when Mom's good hand got stuck in the kitchen window.  I've never been a fast runner, but that felt like the slowest run of my life.  The slow-motion feeling was likely fueled by fear. I was scared because Mom was hurt, but I was terrified because the neighbours I was most comfortable with were away.  I dreaded having to go to the formidable F's for assistance.

Giant spiders, fascinating housewares, rescue missions.  We certainly had some adventures.  Glad Dad took all these pictures to so we could reminisce, though I'd happily forget the spiders.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen