Sunday, July 27, 2014

Maxi Moxie

Last summer my sister gave me two lovely, floaty maxi-skirts. I hauled them halfway across the continent, then they sat in my closet, unworn, for months. I considered donating them.  As much as I'd like to be a woman who can successfully wear a long, gauzy skirt, the reality is that I'm kind of a klutz. I had visions of getting a foot caught in the excess fabric and doing myself an injury. 

These visions were not unwarranted. Though I've never been injured, I have practically disrobed myself when wearing skirts of the floaty variety. Imagine crouching beside a child's desk in a voluminous skirt. Got it? Now imagine standing up suddenly, not realizing that you've caught your heel in the back of the skirt. If the skirt isn't firmly in place, your waistband is going to slip floorward. Not a good look for an elementary school teacher. Enough said. 

A few weeks ago a, during the World Cup, a local pub invited all England fans to gather and watch the first game against Italy. Hubby and I decided to attend. And we decided to walk. Easy decisions. What I found more difficult was deciding what to wear. 

The pub is about 3 km from our house. I knew I needed something comfortable for walking, but I wanted to look decent when we got there.  I finally decided to try one of the maxi skirts. 



I'm pleased to report that the skirt was a success. No injuries were incurred, I was comfortable, and I managed to stay decently dressed throughout the match and on the walks to and from the pub. An impressive feat, considering the amount of beer involved. If only England's performance had been as successful as my first foray into the world of maxi skirts!

Linking up with Patti and the lovely team over at Not Dead Yet Style for Visible Monday. Head on over and check out the fun!

(Oh the irony. Today, after planning this post, I caught my heel and fell up the stairs while wearing this skirt. No permanent injuries. Yellow card for the skirt!)

12 comments:

  1. It looks great on you...I love it with the denim jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Both the skirt and jacket are hand-me-downs from different family members.

      Delete
  2. Careful, you! You look lovely in this floaty white maxi. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti! I'll be careful. Don't want to mess up my white skirt!

      Delete
  3. Maxi skirts are always a great idea! Love how it looks with the denim jacket, too!

    xx April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks April! Maxi skirts are a new idea for me, but I'm slowly, and carefully getting it!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty white maxi on you, versatile with the jean jacket!
    from the link up,

    please stop by, jess

    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your look, Laurie! The white maxi paired with your denim jacket looks great! A perfect summer outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So elegant; simplicity itself and beautiful.
    My maxi-problem has been with buckles on the sides of shoes (like in a sling back pump with little buckle on the strap) with my hand stitched hems. I hack around the issue, but I get your concerns! Lovely for date night, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! Somehow your comment didn't get forwarded to my email until today. Thus my late reply! So good to have you back. I haven't had the buckle-issue, but I have put the heel of my pump through the back of my skirt before. More than once. There's no graceful way to get out of that, as I'm sure you can imagine!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen