Friday, January 10, 2020

Falling from Pride

So, last week I decided to reactivate the blog and share my wonderful meal-planning knowledge with the universe.  Because I am the BEST at meal-planning. 

You're familiar with the term pride before a fall, right? 

I gapped out on one of the basic guidelines of meal-planning.   

CHECK WHAT'S IN THE HOUSE FIRST.

I was seduced by the promise of $2 bunches of broccoli when I didn't actually need broccoli.  All for the savings of $.99.   Not a big deal, but I hate food waste, so I made a quick change to Saturday's dinner to allow me to use up Brussels sprouts that were already in the house, and made a big batch of broccoli soup.  

Good thing I did, because by Friday night, as a result of some work-related chaos, things had gone sideways meal-wise, which leads to another meal-planning guideline:

LIFE IS UNPREDICTABLE.  SOMETIMES THE BEST PLAN IS TO FORGET THE PLAN.

I struggle with this one, mostly because of the previously mentioned aversion to food waste. 
This time, instead of completely abandoning the plan, I repeatedly adapted it throughout the week.  It went from this:



To this:





Instead of going out for dinner on Friday, we went out for lunch on Saturday and had broccoli soup both nights.  Sunday's salmon cakes, salad and beets were dropped (all the ingredients will keep), and Saturday's planned meal was subbed in.  And because Monday's Chinese greens made way more than anticipated, they made a reappearance on Thursday where they were refreshed with some peanut sauce and some stir-fried chicken breast.  (Again, everything from Thursday's planned meal could be easily postponed.  I just left the frozen items in the freezer.)

Because I had a plan to work with, we had home-cooked food every day.  No take-out.  No processed food.  No extra food expenses.  Overall, I'm pleased with how my almost-but-not-quite plan worked out. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen