Sunday, May 25, 2014

Get Them Before They're Gone...

I am a collector of kitchen gadgets. Sometimes they're wonderful, and sometimes I wonder why I bought them. Hubby is quite good at fuelling my obsession. He has provided some of my favourite gadgets. The ice-cream attachment for my KitchenAid mixer is one.  This is another:


Yes, I am aware that an ipad isn't technically a kitchen gadget, but I do love having it in the kitchen with me. And not just for the sentimental value:



It's great for looking up recipes:


Both the cookies and the granola glimpsed in the pictures above are made from recipes I found online. I find a recipe, try it once, and, if it turns out, I bookmark it for future use. For the longest while I felt quite smug about all the paper I was saving. Prior to ipad acquisition I was printing recipes. The ipad allowed me to green up my kitchen practices. Then catastrophe.

Some of my favourite food bloggers started taking down their websites. It wasn't just that they didn't post any more. The websites were actually disappearing, often without warning. My carefully-curated bookmarks led nowhere. The horror! The frustration!

Last summer Kristin, the author of one much-bookmarked website, announced she was moving on to other things. She kindly left her website Cook Bake Nibble available so her followers could continue to access her recipes. What a relief! 

Last week, I discovered that Kristin will be retiring Cook Bake Nibble at the end of the month. Thankfully she gave her readers notice, so I've spent much of my afternoon printing favourite recipes. Sifting through her recipes one last time made me remember how much I liked her cooking style. We had many really great meals as a result of her work and her willingness to share her ideas.

So, if you're looking for some decent, easy, whole-food recipes you may want to head over to Cook Bake Nibble before it's too late. And if you miss out, don't fret. Kristin also announced that she'll be releasing a cookbook this year that will include new recipes and recipes from her old blog. I've already signed up for notification when the cookbook is ready, and will try to remember to let you know when I know. In the mean time, you can visit Kristin's new blog Niblet and check out her new adventures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen