Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Harvest - Part One

Fall has arrived and harvest is happening at Sleeping Cougar Acres. Last Wednesday I got to take a small part in that process. That morning the weather fairies decided to remind us west-coasters that summer doesn't last forever. It was grey and rainy and dreary. It was exactly the kind of morning where you want to pull the blankets over your head and settle in for some serious hibernating. As I didn't have to work, the thought did cross my mind, but the grapes and L were waiting.

A rainy morning, but sunshine awaits around a bend in the drive...


...as did a beverage to celebrate the harvest - a blend of white (petit milo) and red (leon millot) grapes. Unfermented, of course. It was before noon you know!


It had been a while since I had been to the vineyard. I was surprised when I could see grapes from the gate. Last time I knew they were there, but I couldn't see them until I got closer to the plants.


L has started a tradition of naming plants after some guests. You can check on your plant's progress when you visit, and in my case I got to harvest the grapes from my namesake. That's my plant on the left and hubby's on the right.

We filled two tubs with grapes then wandered over to check out the garden.


Look, it's a sea cucumber! Actually, it's just a wet cucumber on a very rainy day.


The garden has only produced one pumpkin, but it's an impressive one. All the other squash plants are producing like mad. The pumpkin plant decided to put all it's energy into one whopping gourd.


From the garden we headed over to the manure pile. I filled up a tub for my own composter. Nothing like wallowing in poop on a rainy day!


We loaded our haul into the wheelbarrow, and headed up to the house to dry off and begin the juicing process. Looks good, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen