Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Feeding My Soul, Feeding My Spirit, Feeding My Face

I spent part of the long weekend cat-sitting for a friend. She had wisely left the chaos of our local BC Day celebrations to head for the hills. I relaxed in her sweet, wee house, played with her adorable cat, raided her garden for lettuce and blueberries and generally made myself at home. She wanted to reward me for such arduous labours, so yesterday we headed up to Ocean Resort. We had been there before, but they have recently added a labyrinth to the grounds, and we wanted to check it out.

I find walking the labyrinth to be incredibly peaceful and relaxing. Fortunately, there are several within driving distance of our town. I've tried a few, but the one at Ocean Resort is my new favourite. It's a 7-circuit driftwood labyrinth set within view of the ocean. I loved how all all 4 elements were present: earth in the crunch of the gravel beneath my feet, air in the breeze from the ocean, fire in the few scorched driftwood logs, and water in the nearby ocean. I can even say that all five senses were represented, as from time to time I could taste salt from the ocean on the breeze. (I bet you thought I was licking the logs or something.)

Yesterday's labyrinth walk was particularly nourishing, as I was able to leave all the worries and heaviness I've been carrying outside. It wasn't planned. I just suddenly noticed that they weren't there. It was like a little time out, and it was wonderful. I felt so light, and it was so much easier to be present (not that I'm ever that present) without those concerns to distract me. Because of this, I was able to notice things like the taste of the ocean air. It also made me aware of the rather noisy construction taking place across the road, but that didn't bother me. Instead I was grateful that I was present enough to notice it.

I must admit there was a moment, when I realized that I was nearing the end of my walk, that I was hesitant to leave the labyrinth. I had to pause and remind myself that I could choose which worries and concerns I picked up again when I left. What a reassuring thought. The lightness I felt in the labyrinth continued, and my friend and I headed off for lunch.

Originally we had planned on taking part in the resort's "Labyrinth and Lunch" special, but they were completely booked for lunch. Ironically, they had a 7-day retreat that featured green smoo
thies taking place, so there was no room for us. Instead we headed over to Salmon Point Resort and had lunch there.

We were seated on the patio at the restaurant. Fortunately, we were able to get a table with enough shade for my friend and enough sun for me. I continued to set my concerns aside, and didn't even think to ask the server where the seafood in my seafood clubhouse sandwich came from. Odd, considering our ocean-side seats. It was nice not to think about it. (Though once home it was nice to know that the ingredients for our dinner came from friends and local farmers.) Instead of fretting about the origins of the items on the menu, I chose something that sounded appetizing after a morning spent in the fresh ocean air. I was able to concentrate on enjoying the excellent company, the great view and the good food, and I must admit, I savoured every bite of my meal.






2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how some spaces seem to have a spot where we drop off our worries when we enter? I have a little spot like that on campus. I think I'll visit it this evening!

    Your weekend sounds WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been spoiled lately. First the Ocean Resort labyrinth and lunch with a friend, then, this weekend, hubby took me to Calgary to see Pearl Jam play at the Virgin Festival. Of course, it's back to reality and work tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen