Saturday, December 21, 2013

Accentuate the Positive

I am taking part in the Sketchbook Project again this year. Unlike last year, I knew what I was getting into when I signed up this time. That does't make it any less nerve-wracking. I am not an artist. I am baffled by concepts like perspective, depth, light and dimension, and I have no idea how to convey those elements in my work. 

As such, it would be very, very easy for me to concentrate on what I can't draw. Instead, I'm going to try to focus on what I can draw. You know, accentuate the positive and all that jazz. 

This is quite different from last year's Sketchbook. My lack of confidence, and a flippant comment to a friend, led to a lot of collage. Don't get me wrong. I loved the process and the results. I was actually sorry to send it away when the project was over. Fortunately, I can visit it here from time to time. 

I do wish I had written about the process of filling last year's sketchbook. I always intended to, but never managed to get around to it in spite of best intentions. I guess that's fitting, since I chose "Procrastination" as my theme. This year I'm going to try to share as I go. 

Though my artistic skills are limited, I'm finding inspiration everywhere. There are a surprising number of things out there that I can manage to re-create to some extent. 

For example, while doing laundry I realized that I could likely draw a passable rendition of the cats on my socks.


The inspiration.
My re-creation.

The socks are a gift from Hubby's aunt. I smile each time I wear them. There was a t-shirt too, but it didn't survive. Too bad. I bet I could draw those cats too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Your words of wisdom will appear once they have been previewed by the spam monkeys.

Your patience is appreciated.

Laurie the Monkey Queen